Progress of my all hand made 3D printer...

Hi all,

I will be starting on the InMoov project as soon as I have my 3D printer up and running.  I CANNOT wait!

Before that is possible though I have been building a 3D printer using ideas from all over the web.  I have decided to build it with no pre-made 3D parts (Apart from the extruder which will be a Bowden one that I will buy) and I am challenging my self to build it as cheaply as possible.  Once it is built it can then build the 3D parts to make it print at a higher quality.

So far it has cost me £65 including £28 for a Mega2560 with RAMPS 1.4 and stepper drivers and LCD.

Anyway this is my progress so far.  I will be adding the steppers and the PSU and electronics in a couple of days time.

 

Nomadd_UK's picture

and...

So far I have obtained...

  • All the smooth 8mm rods.
  • All of the threaded rods 5mm, 8mm and 10mm.
  • All of the nuts, bolts and washers.
  • Built a frame.
  • Hand made all of the corners and mountings out of either wood or recycled HDPE (Basically milk bottles).
  • I have all of the electronics for control such as Arduino Mega2560, RAMPS 1.4, stepper drivers.
  • I have repurposed a PC PSU to provide power.

Still to obtain are:

  • 5 x NEMA17 motors - £50
  • 1 x print head - £17
  • 1 x extruder carriage - £??
  • 1 x heat bed - £20
  • 3 x end stops - £3

 

Should bring the total cost to..... ~£170ish

All of the tolerances are within 0.5mm by use of adjustable nuts on rods etc.  So it "should" work quite well.  We'll see!!

Cwright's picture

Looks great in the picture,

Looks great in the picture, keep us posted.

Nomadd_UK's picture

Latest Developments...

Great news! I have finally completed the 3D printer after about 6 weeks work (on and off). Take a look at the pictures.

It has cost me around £160-180ish. I have done a few test prints and they have come out very well. I have done the 10mm and 20mm cubes and they are spot on in size. I did a single wall test shape that came out very well. The walls should be 0.36mm and were just over at 0.38mm.

I have one MAJOR issue though. As I have decided to put the Y end stop switch at the front and the X at the left I now have a print that is mirror printing in the Y axis. I am going crazy trying to resolve it... All ideas GREATLY appreciated. Once this is resolved I can start InMooving...

A short video of the printer creating a fan mount for the extruder... printer heal thyself :o)  Pics during build and testing... not bad for a wooden printer :o)

Nomadd_UK's picture

It looks better up close :o)

I previously added a picture as a link.  However, I added them in line this time.  Maybe links would have been better.  I have a video that I wanted to share with you all but alas it is about 160MB!!! And it is only about 30 seconds long.  Maybe not then.

It is a thing of beauty when it is running and makes some really nice whirring and purring noises too :o)

I just need to fix the mirrored Y axis now... Watch this space!!