Failed to load latest version of MRL

Okay, I'll admit I'm frustrated.   Last week, I had trouble getting my Inmoov servos running from Myrobotlab (but I could attach as usual with a simple Arduino sketch), so I decided to start from scratch.  

I wiped out the entire mrl directory, downloaded the latest version of Java (8.73) and downloaded the latest version of MRL to the mrl directory.   

However, when I try to start it, I get a null pointer exception and MRL crashes.   

I've attached the log file and it doesn't appear to get very far...

2016-02-07 22:46:37,594 INFO [main] c.m.s.Runtime [Runtime.java:1729] getting local repo
2016-02-07 22:46:37,610 INFO [main] c.m.i.FileIO [FileIO.java:416] looking for /resource/framework\serviceData.json
2016-02-07 22:46:37,610 INFO [main] c.m.i.FileIO [FileIO.java:300] getSource /C:/mrl/myrobotlab.jar
2016-02-07 22:46:37,610 ERROR [main] c.m.i.FileIO [FileIO.java:431] can not find resource [/resource/framework\serviceData.json]
2016-02-07 22:46:37,610 ERROR [main] c.m.l.Logging [Logging.java:19] ------
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.myrobotlab.io.FileIO.stringToFile(FileIO.java:516)
at org.myrobotlab.framework.repo.ServiceData.getLocal(ServiceData.java:156)
at org.myrobotlab.framework.repo.ServiceData.getLocal(ServiceData.java:144)

Since I'm fairly new to MRL, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.    Any suggestions?

Thanks,

scruffy-bob

kwatters's picture

refactoring constantly

Hi Scruffy-Bob,
Sorry to say the current "latest build" is a little broken at the moment. We're changing how the list of services gets loaded and managed in the build. This will make things better in the end, but for now it's a bit broken.
We have started down the path of having unit tests that will test the build after each release, but they're not enabled yet. We hope in the future, we'll be better about marking the build as failed if one of the tests failed so it will be easier to know and to have confidence that the build is good.
Thanks for being patient.
-Kevin

GroG's picture

Hi Scruffy, Things look

Hi Scruffy,

Things look better now .. the elves have been busy patching, fixing, building, polishing, and buffing.....

I'm not going to say 'everything' works - but the major problems you were having to even get started are removed.  This is the develop branch so its always going to be the latest greatest, and possibly bleeding edge.  We are trying to get a 'release', but need more testing and always appreciate a soul willing to contribute in this way ...

Good luck and let us know how it goes !

Below is my testing of 1.0.1064 develop branch (effectively the latest - but we move fast so by the time you get a chance to download it might have been incremented a few more times)

I see Papa's new service !  AzureTranslator !

Tested AcapelaSpeech - worky

Dependencies loaded - except for IPCamera  (javacpp thing) ... a good test regardless - it 'failed' dependencies and was unavailable ...  a good 'negative' test

 
scruffy-bob's picture

Getting closer, but still getting errors on stuff that worked b4

Things are much better, I can load and run things now on 1.0.1065.    The test script that ran okay two weeks ago fails now.   I had an "attach" to the webkitspeechrecognition service from AcapelaSpeech to keep it from talking to itself.   Today, the python script fails if I don't comment out the following line:

-----
wksr.attach(mouth)
-----
 
The Python error is "------Traceback (most recent call last):  File string, line 22, in moduleAttributeError: org.myrobotlab.service.WebkitSpeechRecognition object has no attribute attach at org.python.core.Py.AttributeError(Py.java:205) at org.python.core.PyObject.noAttributeError(PyObject.java:1013) at org.python.core.PyObject.__getattr__(PyObject.java:1008) at org.python.pycode._pyx3.f$0(string:27) at org.python.pycode._pyx3.call_function(string) at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:167) at org.python.core.PyCode.call(PyCode.java:18) at org.python.core.Py.runCode(Py.java:1386) at org.python.core.Py.exec(Py.java:1430) at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.exec(PythonInterpreter.java:267) at org.myrobotlab.service.Python$PIThread.run(Python.java:180)------
"
 
Is this something that's no longer needed?     I was running the "test.py" script under my Github directory.
 
For now, I just commented it out and turned the volume down, so it doesn't answer itself when it's speaking.   Everything else seems to run as before.
 
Best regards,
scruffy-bob
 
GroG's picture

Please, when you have a

Please, when you have a problem or something explodes, or wild boars attack, even if something just smells funny .. always always send a "No Worky !"

http://myrobotlab.org/content/helpful-myrobotlab-tips-and-tricks-0#noWorky

This sends us your log file - which has all the juicey details of wtf went wrong.

For example, I don't know what test.py your are referring too, and I could burn my oxygen supply looking for the right one.

scruffy-bob's picture

No-worky sent.

I didn't think it was important enough to waste your time, since I could work around the problem.   However, I guess it would probably be better let you make that determination.   

 

I only have one file on Github right now, so I didn't think it would be hard to figure out which one I was talking about.  However, here is the link...

https://github.com/MyRobotLab/pyrobotlab/blob/master/home/scruffybob/test.py

Thanks,

- scruffy-bob