Getting the Kinect to work - no image

Hi Anyone,  

I am hoping someone can help me out.  I am working on getting my Kinect to work in MyRobotLab.  I'm on Windows 7, x86 64 bit.  The Kinect is installed and shows as a properly installed device in my device manager. 

I start MRL and create an OpenCV service.  I then select to use OpenKinect as the source and click capture, however, I don't see any image.  Is there something I'm missing?  Perhaps a 3rd party dependency ?


When I run it in the eclipse debugger, I see an exception happening in  in the following line:

frame = grabber.grab();


Exception in thread "ll_videoProcessor" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at com.googlecode.javacv.OpenKinectFrameGrabber.grabVideo(
at com.googlecode.javacv.OpenKinectFrameGrabber.grab(
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Can't overwrite cause
at java.lang.Throwable.initCause(
at com.googlecode.javacpp.Loader.load(
at com.googlecode.javacpp.Loader.load(
at com.googlecode.javacv.cpp.freenect.<clinit>(
... 4 more
It seems to be somewhere in the init of the freenect class, but I'm not really sure whats happening beyond that .




Alessandruino's picture

Hi Kevin !!! Check this post

Hi Kevin !!! Check this post and download the full pack for windows7 64 bit...

You ll need windows Microsoft SDK 1.8 installed too

It contains "good" kinect drivers

Let us know

Alessandruino's picture

Another important stuff ...

Another important stuff ... You have to use openNI service...not openCV service :)

kwatters's picture

lib path ? openni via python

Hi Alessanduino.
  Thanks for the pointer to the latest kinect drivers.  I downloaded v 1.8 and updated my drivers locally.  So, hopefully that part is ok now.  I noticed that you can't create an OpenNI service from the runtime gui, but luckily, I see I can just create that via python/jython.  It seems, I'm missing some libraries in my library path I suppose.    I tried adding "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Kinect\v1.8\lib\amd64"   (and x86) to the java.library.path property, but same error.  
  Any thoughts?
Thanks again for your help!
openni = Runtime.createAndStart("openni", "OpenNI")
Java Stacktrace:
Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: SimpleOpenNI.SimpleOpenNIJNI.swig_module_init()V
        at SimpleOpenNI.SimpleOpenNIJNI.swig_module_init(Native Method)
        at SimpleOpenNI.SimpleOpenNIJNI.<clinit>(
        at SimpleOpenNI.ContextWrapper.getcwd(
        at SimpleOpenNI.SimpleOpenNI.start(Unknown Source)
        at org.myrobotlab.service.OpenNI.initContext(Unknown Source)
        at org.myrobotlab.service.OpenNI.startService(Unknown Source)
        at org.myrobotlab.service.Runtime.createAndStart(Unknown Source)
Alessandruino's picture

Hi kevin, are you using the

Hi kevin, are you using the MRL packet i mentioned in the last comment? (

That is a packet which contains all the required dependencies you need... (other versions will not work)

If yes, send a noworky after you get the java error . This will send us a log which will help us to find was is happening

here is how to send a noworky :



kwatters's picture

Hi Alessandro,   Thanks for

Hi Alessandro,

  Thanks for the follow up.  I'll do a bit more debugging and see if I can find which library is missing.  I'm a bit busy the next few days, but maybe this weekend I can get some time to look into it.  If I find the solution I'll post back what I found,  otherwise, I'll go down the no-worky path.  (Pretty cool to have the bug reporting directly in the app..  that's a pretty neat feature..)




kwatters's picture

OpenNI library dependencies

I noticed the has a main function for quick testing.  (very helpful example.)  After stepping through that I quickly found the names of the libraries that I was missing.  I hunted those down in the build and found that I needed to unzip the file
in the myrobotlab library directory.
(I suppose someone on win32 would have to choose the win32 zip file.)
Once I did that, the kinect initialized and I saw the OpenNI service returning some imaging and depth info.
Thanks for the guidance!
Seems like I need to do a little work on my local build.  I think there are a few issues that it doesn't pick up all the dependencies when it created the tar/gz.