MikeG's blog

Willie is O K!!

MikeG's picture

   Ta Da!!

 

  I put willie back together this morning. His arm wen't just fine. I printed one of the adjustable (rotatable), square potentiometer holders and used it. That had it's own issues of course, (freaking itty bitty screws), but after having replaced the shoulder drive gear and reinforced it with washers and epoxy to keep them from wanting to pull through the thin material of the cylinder and a few other minor non-standard modifications his right arm is hanging properly now and seems to be working well also.


I need some build assistance from the community.

MikeG's picture

 I have been searching the Google forum for help with this subject to no avail. If anyone knows the answer I would very much like to receive e-mail on the subject.

I have removed Willie's right arm for a tune up. Some of the holes in the cylinder of his shoulder rotation gear have become elongated so there is/was a lot of slop in the motion when he raised his forearm by rotating the shoulder gear.  This was the result of overdriving his arm. I do not remember now the excatct souce of that.


Official notice of Name Change.

MikeG's picture

  Since my wife does not like the Fred, an since I was borrowing that name from Ray My Assistant has had his name changed from Fred-X to Willie. 

  I do apologize if this is confusing for anyone.


Surprise!!! Is this an Easter Egg?

MikeG's picture

   This morning as I was puttering around with neatening up where the wires run and mounting the Nano that runs the Neopixel I had just finished up and I asked Fred how he felt. This is what happened...

 


Fred is assembled.

MikeG's picture

 

Fred-X.MOV

 

So Fred-X is now fully assembled. Sort of.


Progress Report

MikeG's picture

April 6, 2018.

 

  Fred-X's middle is finished... Sort of.

I have completed the mechanical assembly.  I have discovered that if I change the state of configuration file 9 Neopixel from False to True that it causes the software to run as though there were some process eating up 99 % of the system resources. 

  I recommend not trying to run a NeoPixel ring unless you have a fix for this. I am not at that point yet.

  As soon as I get Fred's right leg finished I eill be standing him on his own legs.


More progress for Fred

MikeG's picture

 

  So this is where Fred-X's belly is today. I am building a leg (left), so that I can measure the correct length for his new dolly. I have all the parts for the dolly, but I want fredto appear to be standing normally. The pipe on which his weight will be supported must bethe correct length, so once his leg is complete, I will remove his head and arms and covers etc and assemble the middle section and one leg  then measure the correct pipe length.


Fred's progress

MikeG's picture

Monday March 13 2018:

 I have nearly completed Fred's torso. All of the mechanical parts have been fitted and assembled. His servo sensor pots have been fitted and have extended wires to mate to the servos. Auxilary motors are prepped, tested and wired. They are ready to add to the servos. I have the servos in house and can modify them as soon as I get enough time to work on them.